Before, you had to walk through that doorway on the right to get to the back, and so we had two rooms that weren't very functional. Now we have a nice entrance to the back and, to the right, a little pantry.
Below are two new projects I started over the weekend. On the left, "Yarrow Ribbed Socks" from Vintage Socks, and on the right, 20 rows of what will eventually be a bird cage cover to keep Gino and Rocky warm once the temps start to drop.
Socks are on size 1 DPNs and I'm using Apple Laine's Apple Pie sock yarn (50% wool, 20% mohair, 20% silk, 10% Nylon) which I purchased at The Loopy Ewe . This yarn is really really soft and a pleasure to knit with. These will be really warm socks! The cage cover is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes because, well, it's cheap, and this project requires a lot of yarn! I've been thinking about this project for a while and trying out different designs, including crocheting a giant circle, which, after 15 or so rounds, turned out to be really really boring work--probably because I'm not experienced enough with crochet to come up with an interesting design. In the end, I decided to knit separate panels to form a box. That way I can break it down into parts and maybe do something interesting with the individual panels and/or in piecing them together--I'm thinking maybe buttons or ties. Other than those plans, I'm mostly making the design up as I go--which, I realize, could be a terrible mistake. The panel in the above pic will go on the top. It's just a rectange of st st framed by garter st. Here's what I've done so far:
- CO 95 (I used a cable cast on).
- K 16 rows.
- Beginning with row 17 and then for all odd rows: K 10, P 75, K 10.
- Beginning with row 18 and then for all even rows, K.
I think I'll keep going this way until I cover just a little less than half the area of the cage top and then do another 16 rows of garter stitch. Depending on how things look, I may actually construct the top piece of two panels rather than one big one.