January 15, 2009

Deep Freeze

Like much of the country, here in eastern PA it's pretty darn cold. This morning we woke up to a light dusting of snow (which, it turns out, is a nice break from all the ice we've had lately). A good day to stay home and knit. I've been working on another pair of Newfoundland mittens, mostly because I like how these two yarns looked together.

The white is Lion Brand Wool Ease which I had in my stash from a long-abandoned learning-to-crochet project. The blue is some gorgeous (but itchy!) Rowan Scottish Tweed that I'd been trying to find a good use for. As I was trying out colors for another project, these two landed next to one another, and I liked the combo.


I made another pair of these mittens (Ravelry link) about a year ago, and since then I've been wanting to try the pattern again with some other colors and yarns. Plus, this weather is making me want to knit things to keep my hands warm. And the RST yarn is REALLY warm. The warm outweighs the itch.

But this morning as I was working on the second thumb, I noticed that it was a little different than the first. Here's a closer look:


See how the thumb on the left has that nice row of white purl bumps underneath and the right one doesn't? I'm pretty sure the one on the right is wrong, and even though it's not a huge mistake, it's going to bug me, so I think I'm going to frog.

Ribbit.

ETA 1/16/09. Turns out? the one on the LEFT is wrong. Should have read the pattern again BEFORE I frogged. Oh well. I don't think it much matters in the end. At least now the two thumbs will look the same.

3 comments:

Rima said...

Oh those are beautiful! Ribbiting the whole thing? Well, I suppose. What a bummer.

Anonymous said...

Mittens are lovely. You are nuts. Have another cuppa tea and forget all about the frogging. cmr

Anonymous said...

I will now say for the record: "I told you so." cmr