June 11, 2007

Goin' Batty

About a week ago, I was awakened at 4:30 AM by the unmistakable sound of a bat in the house. I woke up A. and we searched the whole house, but didn't find anything--which led A. to suspect that perhaps I had only dreamed I'd heard a bat.

Then, the following night, I was watching TV with A. and making good progress on my Madder Ribbed Socks, when--WHOOSH--out of nowhere, a bat flies through the room doing elegant figure 8s over our heads! Now in the thinking part of my brain, I am not really afraid of bats. In fact, I think they're really cool. But apparently that part of my brain closes down when they're whooshing around my house. I screamed, grabbed Katie and crouched under the coffee table while A. calmly and wisely opened the front door and waited for the bat to find its way out. Which it did after several more figure 8s through the room and up and down the hallway.


If you want to see some bats in action, check out these batcams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! How do you know what a bat sounds like at 4:30 am in the morning? And how did the bat get into the house?

G

Anonymous said...

Yuuuuuuck! Why did you feel the need to include PICTURES???~cmr